our definitive guide to nordic design
an obsession with clean lines, sophisticated minimalism and light hues is the essence of Scandinavian-inspired design.
if you're looking to incorporate nordic-style elements into your home, look no further than our definitive guide to the essentials:
1. neutral palette: paint colours and large furnishings such as your outdoor furniture pieces should be in natural and pastel shades.
think along the line of Dulux's beautiful muted warm neutrals palette for your exterior walls. we love Crumpled Linen, Stoneware and Sky Line in this range.
2. clean lines are everything: incorporate furniture with simple silhouettes and natural materials wherever possible. Scandi-design values unique and artisan-style pieces where quality and attention to detail are of paramount importance
3. perfect the placement: once you have found the perfect lounge set or dining furniture to suit your new space, be sure to position the pieces in a way that makes sense.
centre your outdoor living area around comfortable lounge sets, or make your entertainment area all about the love of outdoor dining. focus on the areas where you will host, entertain and relax in order to get the most out of your investment in the space.
4. warm it up: minimalist doesn't have to mean cold. ensure your space remains inviting and cozy through the addition of carefully chosen accents - think loads of soft furnishings: scatter cushions and an indulgent throw in faux-fur, cashmere or thick knit-style wools.
5. when negative is positive: negative space! remember that in nordic design, less is more. start with an empty space and only add pieces that function to add value to the intended purpose of that space. keep the flow and airy feel in balance by keeping it simple and uncluttered.