November 05, 2019
Style Guide: Accessorizing your Patio
If you're wondering how to create the wow-factor out on your patio this Summer, treat the space as you would an interior room, paying attention to lighting, textures, finishes and accessories
- a solid foundation: it may seem obvious, but the overall feeling of a space is largely determined by the biggest pieces of furniture used within the space, as well as any vertical surfaces (ie: walls/ fences). Be sure to create a neutral base from which to build on - think classic appeal here: natural stone cladding, plastered walls painted in neutral tones, and outdoor furniture that will still appeal to your taste a few years from now
- lighting: for instant whimsical appeal, string lights are beautiful when used outdoors all year round. Woven through a pergola structure, wrapped around columns, or simply strung up high - these twinkling lights create a festive atmosphere with a subtle glow. Be sure to use outdoor-safe lighting for the installation of course.
candles/lanterns/hurricanes: create gorgeous ambiance with the simple, inexpensive addition of lanterns and candles out on the patio - perfect for al fresco dinners all Summer long. Outdoor lanterns are available in a wide variety of styles and colours, with materials ranging from earthy, woven rattan, to classic metal-glass pairings and coastal-casual wooden options.
- outdoor textiles: Scatter cushions, throws and blankets are a great way to bring in a pop of colour and tactile goodness to the space.
- on the side: often overlooked, side tables are an important accent piece on the patio. Perfect for popping drinks or snacks onto when hosting guests, these nifty little tables also really round out a seating arrangement and offer an opportunity to off-set the overall look of the space with a contrasting colour or interesting shape.
- keep it fun(ctional): in our gorgeous South African climate, the patio is very often the centre of gatherings around the braai or at the pool. Win the title of host-with-the-most by nailing the at-home bar game. Drinks coolers and bar carts go a long way to serve up drinks in style
- go for green: an absolute non-negotiable for fabulous spaces: lush greenery. Pop a plant into literally any space and you're winning. Choose planters that suit your taste and the plants that you plan to use. Bonus points for groupings of 3-5 plants all together!