If you're wondering how to create the wow-factor out on your patio this Summer, treat the space as you would an interior room, paying attention to lighting, textures, finishes and accessories
- a solid foundation: it may seem obvious, but the overall feeling of a space is largely determined by the biggest pieces of furniture used within the space, as well as any vertical surfaces (ie: walls/ fences). Be sure to create a neutral base from which to build on - think classic appeal here: natural stone cladding, plastered walls painted in neutral tones, and outdoor furniture that will still appeal to your taste a few years from now
- lighting: for instant whimsical appeal, string lights are beautiful when used outdoors all year round. Woven through a pergola structure, wrapped around columns, or simply strung up high - these twinkling lights create a festive atmosphere with a subtle glow. Be sure to use outdoor-safe lighting for the installation of course.
candles/lanterns/hurricanes: create gorgeous ambiance with the simple, inexpensive addition of lanterns and candles out on the patio - perfect for al fresco dinners all Summer long. Outdoor lanterns are available in a wide variety of styles and colours, with materials ranging from earthy, woven rattan, to classic metal-glass pairings and coastal-casual wooden options.
- outdoor textiles: this is where you can inject colour, pattern and personality into your space. The simple addition of an outdoor rug not only ties an outdoor seating arrangement together beautifully (either used in a patio lounge setting or under an outdoor dining table and chairs), but also offers the opportunity to layer pattern and texture into the space.
Scatter cushions, throws and blankets are another great way to bring in a pop of colour and tactile goodness to the space.
- on the side: often overlooked, side tables are an important accent piece on the patio. Perfect for popping drinks or snacks onto when hosting guests, these nifty little tables also really round out a seating arrangement and offer an opportunity to off-set the overall look of the space with a contrasting colour or interesting shape.
- keep it fun(ctional): in our gorgeous South African climate, the patio is very often the centre of gatherings around the braai or at the pool. Win the title of host-with-the-most by nailing the at-home bar game. Drinks coolers and bar carts go a long way to serve up drinks in style
- go for green: an absolute non-negotiable for fabulous spaces: lush greenery. Pop a plant into literally any space and you're winning. Choose planters that suit your taste and the plants that you plan to use. Bonus points for groupings of 3-5 plants all together!